Stories of the Brecon Beacons
These walks are focused on bringing the myths, stories and legends of the Brecon Beacons alive. As we journey through the landscape your guide will tell the myths, stories and legends that form the basis of Welsh Culture.
During each walk we will learn about:
- Each of the lakes in the Brecon Beacons and the stories associated with each one handed down over generations.
- Where King Arthur is sleeping with his knights, waiting for the call to defend Britain once again.
- The stories associated with various standing stones found in the park.
- Whipping trees and witches pools, were they used or just a threat to control the locals?
- The castles and towers in the area and how they were used to gain control or defend Wales.
- The Chartist movement in Wales and how a cave was used to store weapons for the march on Newport.
- Flora and fauna in the area
- How the Brecon Beacons were formed over 350 million years ago
Walks focused in bringing the Myths, stories and legends of the brecon beacons alive
In association with Brecon Beacons National Park as part of Atlantic Culturescape Project
Welsh Culture Hike is a full day hiking experience in the Brecon Beacons Mountains aimed for people who want to stretch their legs by climbing at least one peak whilst learning about Brecon Beacons and Welsh Culture.
Welsh Culture Walk is a half day leisurely walk in the Brecon Beacons aimed for people of all abilities with the main focus of learning about Brecon Beacons and Welsh Culture.
Click the links below for more details and to book a Welsh Cultural Walk in the Brecon Beacons.
WELSH Culture Hike
During this full day hike we will explore the less visited Black Mountain Range and use this area as a platform to tell the stories of the Brecon Beacons.
The hike is approximately 15 km (9 miles) long with an ascent of 740 m (2,430 feet). We will climb Fan Hir, Fan Brycheiniog and Fan Foel which will give us excellent views of Llyn Fan Fawr and Fach. We will return to our cars by following the historic Beacons Way.
WELSH culture walk
This half day walk will take place on Mynydd Illtud starting at the Brecon Beacons Visitor Centre Car Park.
Your guide will use this area and the surrounding views of the national park to tell you the stories of the Brecon Beacons. We will visit scheduled monuments in the area in order to add further interest to our walk.
The walk length will be determined by the group but will not be longer than 5km (3 miles).
A fabulous morning well spent being guided by Dorian through the history, legends & myths of The Brecons. It was a great insight to the local area. Very well organised & set at a lovely pace. The views were incredible but made all the more interesting learning about their importance & value to the local area. A very worthy 5 star activity.Caroline Horgan
Super experience! Dorian has a lot of knowledge about Wales and shared some of his stories, information and experiences. He made the walk interesting for all of us. The walk itself was nice and easy but took us to a hill fort with wonderful views. Highly recommended.Hanneke Jones
If this is not the type of walk/hike you are looking for please explore my other hikes as listed on my Events Page.